lunes, marzo 21, 2005

40 years ago...(almost)

I moved to the states at 13, nearly 40 years ago; but when in Colombia, I'm under the impression that most folk won't even notice I was gone for any amount of time just from my accent.
In fact some people think I'm a paisa (I'm from Cali).
However, sometimes I get signaled otherwise, like when I flew into Bogotá on a 2-day jaunt (to meet my futura) last year. I walked off National Terminal, wearing my new clothes from Exito, top to bottom, and get into a Cab...
So where 'ya coming from? asks the cabbie. "Cali..." I say. "Been a while since I've visited Bogotá, though." (30 years, but I didn't let on).
We go on, shooting the breeze while he zig-zagged his way through traffic to get me to my destination. We talked about things prottypical colombians talk about; La violencia, la reina de belleza, el tráfico, etc, etc...until finally, we get there, I get off, and as I start to pull my cashe to pay him, and he, very casually asks: "¿Tenés dollares?" which I in fact did, and I in fact gave him, after a little bargaining...but I was amazed at his degree of observation, 'cuz I know damn well, sometimes a blurt out a gringada -and set off a laughter- when speaking, but this time I never even blinked a clue.

Paz
Neonovo